CJPME’s mission is to enable Canadians of all backgrounds to promote justice, development and peace in the Middle East, and here at home in Canada.
To be the premier advocacy organization for Canadians for our mission:
- To empower Canadians of all backgrounds to promote justice, development and peace in the Middle East, and at home in Canada.
The “go to” organization for politicians, policy makers, and the media on our issues
- Known as a credible Canadian voice in the Canadian media and government within our mission: promotion of justice, development and peace in the Middle East.
A positive, valued and recognized influencer of Canadian foreign policy
- Developing credible and professional information resources useful to CJPME’s audience, constituency, and collaborators.
A positive, valued and recognized influencer of Canadian media, both
- The media’s portrayal of Canadian foreign policy on the Middle East, and
- The media’s portrayal of current events and people in the region
Community Relations: A contributor to community understanding
- Emphasizing outreach to all types of other players in the community: the general public, community groups; university groups; political parties; unions; religious organizations; etc.
- A developer of mutually beneficial relations with organizations of all kinds.
A “best of breed” bi-lingual NGO in Canada
- Providing volunteers and staff with a energizing and fulfilling experience, while automating, streamlining and/or outsourcing non-core resource-consuming tasks (e.g. data-entry; internal communications; contact management; Internet presence; accounting; etc.)
CJPME evaluates the circumstances and events in the Middle East according to three beliefs:
- The belief that all positions should respect international law
- The belief that all parties in a conflict must be held to the same standard
- The belief that violence is not a solution
- Welcoming to all, but not seeking to become a “dialog group”
- Secular, but based on identifiable principles
- Empowering people. Focused on people and volunteers – avoiding a professionalization of most tasks.
- Grassroots based. Plugged into the community; able to mobilize the community during urgent campaigns.
- Action oriented. Erring on the side of action vs. inaction. Focused on a results-oriented approach vs. a rhetoric-oriented approach.
- Excellence in everything.
- Pro-active. Trying to address issues before they become a fait accompli.
- Developing leadership. Focused on identifying, developing and equipping individuals with high potential to contribute to the organization.
- Resourceful. Creative and innovative – leveraging strategic trends, tools and technologies as much as possible. Finding ways to take action quickly, with a minimum of resources.
- Informed. Don’t speak to an issue if we can’t do it intelligently.
CJPME is an active organization with ongoing work in several focus areas:
- Community Outreach – Reaching more Canadians with our resources and our policies
- Media and Communications Work – Developing relationships and connections with the media and beyond
- Vocational Connections – Looking at issues from distinct perspectives, vocations or specialities (e.g. Human Rights, Health, Art, etc.)
- Policy Work – Promoting sensible Canadian positions on the Middle East and related issues
- Events and Campaigns – Stimulating dialog and participation by Canadians on our issues
CJPME was established in 2002 by Canadians who wanted to foster justice, peace, prosperity and security for all peoples of the Middle East. Founded under a different name, the current name – “Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East” – was registered in 2004. CJPME seeks to provide resources and host activities which enable Canadians at all levels to better understand the dynamics of the region, and work toward solutions for the region.