Montreal, July 14, 2022 — These past few months, CJPME representatives met with dozens of members of Parliament (MPs) to discuss Canada’s position on Palestine and related topics. Now we need your help to reach out to your own member of Parliament to hold them accountable to represent you. MPs can’t “represent” you if they don’t know what you want.
With MPs back in their ridings for Parliament’s summer recess, it’s a great time to try to schedule an appointment with them. CJPME recently published several new position papers with recommendations on what Canada should do on the following topics. All you need to do is talk your MP through these recommendations:
- Position paper: Recommendations on the Israel-Palestine Conflict
- Position paper: Comparing Canada’s response to Russia’s to Canada’s response to Israel
- Position paper: Ending Canada’s Arms Trade with Israel
CJPME also has over 200 factsheets on Palestine-Israel and the broader Middle East. Some recent ones which could be helpful as you meet with MPs would be:
- Factsheet: ICC Investigation of War Crimes in Palestine (in PDF)
- Factsheet: Anti-Palestinian Racism (in PDF)
- Factsheet: The Forcible Transfer of Masafer Yatta (in PDF)
- Factsheet: The Assassination of Shireen Abu Akleh (in PDF)
- Factsheet: Apartheid in Israel (in PDF)
- Factsheet: Historic Palestine’s Demography (in PDF)
A few other docs that you might find useful are:
- CJPME’s “Arming Apartheid” report which documents Canada’s arms trade with Israel
- CJPME’s “Beyond the Two-State Solution” report which challenges Canada’s inaction on Palestine-Israel
- Amnesty’s Apartheid Report
- Human Rights Watch’s Apartheid Report
If you need coaching, we’re ready to help: Tom, Michael and Madeleine are all available to hold your hand through the process. Wondering how to start, we’ve got a guide on how to manage a meeting with an MP, and the “Do’s and Don’t’s” in meeting with MPs. Give us a call at 438-380-5410 any time; we’re ready to give you a helping hand.
Don't be shy. Average citizens meet all the time with their MPs. Don't view the meeting like a "debate." Rather, just go with the intent of sharing your concerns with your elected representative, and asking them to take their concerns to the government. Most MPs have very little understanding of the Middle East, and the tragic plight of the Palestinians. This is an opportunity for you to help get become more informed. Thank you for considering this opportunity!
Can you support our work?
If you believe helping members of Parliament come to a greater understanding of human rights issues in Palestine, please consider making a gift of financial support to CJPME. We are proud to do both grassroots advocacy, as well as sophisticated policy research, but we depend entirely on private donations. Monthly donations are especially helpful, as they sustain our ongoing work and make it easier for us to strategize for the future. If you prefer, you may also donate over the phone (438-380-5410), or complete and mail in this form. Thank you!