Bill C-47 is a bill intended to enable Canada to accede to the international Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). However, CJPME consider C-47 to be highly flawed...
Click here to view this video on YouTube
For more information on the topics in this video, please refer to:
- To read Bill C-47: http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/C-47/first-reading.
- To read the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT), regulating the international trade in conventional arms: https://www.un.org/disarmament/convarms/att/.
- To read up on the Defence development sharing agreement between Canada and the United States: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ad-ad.nsf/eng/ad01691.html.
- To read about the arms sales to Saudi Arabia see: Marcoux, Jacques, "Saudi Arabia top non-U.S. destination for Canadian arms exports: federal report", CBC News, June 22 2017, http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-top-non-u-s-destination-for-canadian-arms-exports-federal-report-1.4172182.
- To read the report by CJPME, Amnesty International, Oxfam, Project Ploughshares, the Rideau Institute and other NGOs presenting their serious concerns about bill C-47 and Canada’s flawed accession to the International Arms Trade Treaty follow this link: https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/cjpme/pages/3880/attachments/original/1508353556/Final_-_Civil_society_recommendations_about_Bill_C-47.pdf?1508353556.