We invite you to a demonstration Sunday, May 12, 2019 in Montreal to commemorate the Nakba. The "Nakba" is the word in Arab for the "catastrophe" endured by the Palestinians at the time of the creation of Israel in 1948, when Israel dispossed almost 1 million Palestinians from their homes and lands, violating UN resolution 181.
This demonstration is organized by a collective of organizations, including CPF-Q, CJPME, the BDS-Quebec Coalition, CISO, SPHR McGill, SPHR Concordia, SPDH UdeM, SPDH UQAM, Tadamon and PAJU. Join us as we commemorate the Nakba and give tribute to Palestinian mothers.
See the demonstration statement here: The Nakba... continuing to this day (french only)
For a more in-depth history of the Nakba, we invited you to read:
- This factsheet from the Palestinian Academic Society for the Study of International Affairs (PASSIA): http://www.passia.org/media/filer_public/b1/b0/b1b0086b-d91b-4a32-83b3-505700d0e67d/nakbafull.pdf
- This factsheet produced by the Institute for Middle East Understanding (IMEU): https://imeu.org/article/the-nakba-65-years-of-dispossession-and-apartheid
- This factsheet created by Flüchtlingskinder im Libanon e.V., a charitable association that aids Palestinian refugee children in Lebanon, and shared by Zochrot, an Israeli NGO: http://zochrot.org/uploads/uploads/aa0d1cda57550fb0ad815d606cb1ccb1.pdf
Documentary trailers and video-clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQOUQguGkhw
- Israel Celebrates Its Independence, We Mourn Our Loss. Ayman Odeh, 2018:https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/18/opinion/israel-independence-palestine-nakba.html
- Voices of the Palestinian diaspora: Nakba is an open wound. Alasdair Soussi, 2018:https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/voices-palestinian-diaspora-nakba-open-wound-180507142638726.html
- The Nakba did not start or end in 1948. Aljazeera, 2017:https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/05/nakba-start-1948-170522073908625.html
For more information on how to get involved, please visit: https://nakba70action.org/