This is a resolution introduced at the UN General Assembly whose title is similar to: “Division for Palestinian Rights of the Secretariat.”
Resolution in brief: Renews the mandate of the UN Secretariat’s Division for Palestinian Rights, which monitors developments in Palestine, organizes meetings and events, and maintains the United Nations Information System on the Question of Palestine (UNISPAL).
From 2000 to 2004 Canada abstained on this resolution, under Prime Ministers Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin (both Liberal). From 2005 to present, Canada voted "No" on the resolution, starting with Paul Martin and continued by Stephen Harper (Conservative) and Justin Trudeau (Liberal).
Around 2020 this resolution was bi-annualized, which means that it now only goes to a vote every other year.
74/12. Division for Palestinian Rights of the Secretariat
The General Assembly,
Having considered the report of the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People,
Taking note, in particular, of the action taken by the Committee and the Division for Palestinian Rights of the Secretariat in accordance with their mandates,
- Notes with appreciation the action taken by the Secretary-General in compliance with its resolution 73/21;
- Considers that, by providing substantive support to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People in the implementation of its mandate, the Division for Palestinian Rights of the Secretariat continues to make a constructive and positive contribution to raising international awareness of the question of Palestine and of the urgency of a peaceful settlement of the question of Palestine in all its aspects on the basis of international law and United Nations resolutions and the efforts being exerted in this regard and to generating international support for the rights of the Palestinian people;
- Requests the Secretary-General to continue to provide the Division with the necessary resources and to ensure that it continues to effectively carry out its programme of work as detailed in relevant earlier resolutions, in consultation with the Committee and under its guidance;
- Requests the Division, in particular, to continue to monitor developments relevant to the question of Palestine, to organize international meetings and activities in support of the Committee’s mandate with the participation of all sectors of the international community and to ensure, within existing resources, the continued participation of eminent persons and international renowned experts in these meetings and activities, to be invited on a par with the members of the Committee, to liaise and cooperate with civil society and parliamentarians, including through the Working Group of the Committee, to develop and expand the “Question of Palestine” website and the documents collection of the United Nations Information System on the Question of Palestine, to prepare and widely disseminate the publications listed in paragraph 81 of the report of the Committee for the period 2017/18, in the relevant official languages of the United Nations, and information materials on various aspects of the question of Palestine and to develop and enhance the annual training programme for staff of the Palestinian Government in contribution to Palestinian capacity-building efforts;
- Also requests the Division, as part of the observance of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People on 29 November, to continue to organize, under the guidance of the Committee, an annual exhibit on Palestinian rights or a cultural event in cooperation with the Permanent Observer Mission of the State of Palestine to the United Nations, and encourages Member States to continue to give the widest support and publicity to the observance of the Day of Solidarity;
- Requests the Secretary-General to ensure the continued cooperation with the Division of the United Nations system entities with programme components addressing various aspects of the question of Palestine and the situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem;
- Invites all Governments and organizations to extend their cooperation to the Division in the performance of its tasks.
38th plenary meeting
3 December 2019
 Official Records of the General Assembly, Seventy-fourth Session, Supplement No. 35 (A/74/35).
 Ibid., Seventy-third Session, Supplement No. 35 (A/73/35).